Preparation time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 1 hours
- 1 squash
- 2 parsnips
- 1 large onion
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1-2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 stock cubes
- Dice the squash and parsnip. If the squash is not too large, the skin will be fine left on.
- Add to a baking dish, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook in the oven at 180°C for 90-120 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until the vegetables are starting to caramelise around the edges.
- Soften the onion in a large saucepan, then add the celery for a minute or two.
- Dice and add the carrots, potatoes, and the stock cubes, and then add boiling water to cover everything.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the roasted vegetables. Top up with more water to keep everything covered.
- Simmer for another 20 minutes. Take off the heat.
- Put the soup into a blender (in batches) and blend to a smooth consistency. Serve hot with bread and optionally with some grated cheese on top.