Smokey Paprika Gumbo
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
Source: Own recipe
This is not technically a gumbo, but with onions and okra in it I'm not sure what else to call it!
- 150 g pearl barley
- 1 large onion, coarsely sliced
- 3 courgettes, sliced
- 175 g okra (optional)
- 300 g mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- ½ tube tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- Cook the pearl barley as per the packet instructions (boil in unsalted water for 1 hour 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, fry the onions slowly in olive oil in a large casserole pot until soft and translucent.
- Add the courgettes and fry until they start to soften.
- Add the okra and mushrooms and fry until they soften.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, stock cubes, and paprika. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Drain the pearl barley, rinse under the tap to remove any starch, and add to the gumbo.
- Simmer for half an hour or until thickened.