Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Source: Modified from The Spruce Eats
This makes about 900g of cooked, drained seitan.
- 225 g wheat gluten
- 30 g nutritional yeast
- 30 g gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 1 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- 15 ml soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 225 ml water
- 2-3 tsp stock concentrate
- Mix the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients.
- Kneed, making sure to fold the mixture frequently. Leave to rest for ten minutes then kneed again.
- Cut into quarters or eighths.
- Boil in vegetable stock, keeping the water topped up to ensure the seitan stays submerged, for at least 45 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the stock. If freezing, freeze covered with the stock.