Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
Source: River Cottage Veg Everyday, page 362
This recipe jumped immediately onto my list of favourites, though I use less oil than in the original. It does three main meals, or two dinners and two lunches.
- 2 onions
- 2 red, orange or yellow peppers
- 400g (about 2 large) courgettes
- 1 large aubergine
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed or sliced.
- 2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Sprig of thyme
For the tomato sauce:
- Chop the onion into thick slices. Slice and dice the other vegetables into 2-3cm strips or cubes.
- Empty the vegetables into a roasting dish, season with salt and pepper, and add the oil. Toss to coat them all evenly. Roast at 190°C for 90 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Fry the garlic in the oil for a minute or so, without browning it.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, and thyme. Simmer gently (setting 3 on my back hob) for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are done.
- When both are done, mix the sauce into the roast veg, and return to the oven for 10 minutes. Optionally, stir in fresh oregano or thyme, and serve with bread.