Pizza base / bread rolls
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
This is just the recipe for the base; I haven't tried the piazzaiola recipe on the source URL yet; I usually cheat and use a supermarket pasta sauce. It also turns out that this recipe is really good for bread rolls, too! Use strong wholemeal bread flour, roll into 6-8 balls, leave to rise for 15 minutes, then cook for 15 minutes at 200°C
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- ½ tsp sugar
- 300 ml warm water (about three parts tap water to two parts boiling water)
- 500 g plain or strong bread flour
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix the yeast with the sugar and 50ml of the lukewarm water and stir, let sit for 10 minutes until it develops a nice foam on top.
- Add the olive oil and salt to the flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the yeast and the rest of the warm water (250 ml) to the mixing bowl. Mix with your hands and knead until you have a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough with a clean, dry dish towel and let it sit for an hour.
- Split the mix into three parts and with each part create an 11-inch base, either with a rolling pin or using your hands.
- Add the tomato base to the pizza and put in the oven at 200°C for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, add the rest of your toppings, and put back in the oven for 12-15 minutes.