Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Adapted from: Adapted from Beef Stroganoff
The mushrooms are a perfect alternative to the beef here; intensifying the flavour they bring to the original recipe. You could optionally add in some seitan for more of a bite.
- 10 g butter, to fry the mushrooms
- 20 g butter, for the roux
- 300 - 350 g mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp flour
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 250 ml vegetable stock (2 tsp condensed stock eg Vecon)
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- Slice the mushrooms and the onion.
- Melt 10 g butter in a deep saucepan and fry the onion on a medium heat with the lid on, until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and fry on a medium-high heat until they have lost their water.
- Remove the onion and mushrooms from the pan and put to one side.
- Put on some rice to cook.
- Melt 20 g butter in the same frying pan, add the flour, and cook for a couple of minutes to make a roux.
- Add the tomato purée, white wine, and stock. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes until thickened.
- Add the onion and mushrooms back to the pan and heat through.
- Turn off the heat (otherwise the cream will split) and stir in the sour cream. Serve immediately.