Cooking time: 3 hours
Source: Family recipe
- 750 g / 1lb-10oz leg or shoulder lamb, cut into large cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, roughly chopped
- 1 –2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 –2 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 600 ml / 20fl-oz weak lamb stock
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 4 new potatoes, halved
- 1 courgette, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, and brown the lamb. Add the onions and fry on a medium heat for 20 minutes
- Add the spices, salt and pepper, lamb stock, tomatoes and carrots, and simmer for 45 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Boil the potatoes in water for around 10 minutes, then add them to the rest of the ingredients. Cover and simmer for a further 45 minutes.
- Add the courgettes and simmer for 20 minutes or until the courgettes are soft.
- Serve with couscous.