Chocolate Chip Oat Biscuits
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Adapted from: Unknown, from a family collection
- 115 g / 4 oz butter/margarine at room temperature
- 115 g / 4 oz caster sugar
- 100 g / 3½ oz light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 115 g / 4 oz plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 85 g / 3 oz rolled oats
- 200 g chocolate chips (two packs)
- Preheat an oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4. Grease 3 large baking trays.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter/margarine and sugars together in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until smooth. Fold in the rolled oats and the chocolate chips.
- Drop heaped teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking trays. Bake until firm around the edge but still soft in the middle, which is about 12 minutes. It's very easy to overcook them, so keep an eye on them.
- Transfer the biscuits onto a wire rack and leave to cool.