Chocolate Chip Oat Biscuits
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 115 g / 4 oz plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 115 g / 4 oz butter/margarine at room temperature
- 115 g / 4 oz caster sugar
- 100 g / 3½ oz light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 85 g / 3 oz rolled oats
- 200 g chocolate chips (two packs)
- Preheat an oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4. Grease 3 large baking trays.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, and salt into a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Note: Bicarbonate of soda and baking powder are interchangeable.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter/margarine and sugars together in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until thoroughly blended. Mix the rolled oats in well. Stir the chocolate chips in with a large wooden spoon.
- Drop heaped teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking trays, spacing each biscuit about an inch apart. Bake until firm around the edge but still soft in the middle, which is about ten minutes. It's very easy to overcook them, so keep an eye on them.
- Transfer the biscuits onto a wire rack and leave to cool.