Beetroot Tarte Tatin
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Source: Mimi Thorisson
- 3 beetroot, cooked, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 20 g butter
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200 g plain flour
- 125 g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp cold water
For the shortcrust pastry (makes double; wrap and freeze the other half):
- Roll out and shape the pastry to the size of the top of a large ovenproof saucepan. Put aside (ideally in the fridge).
- In the saucepan, heat the brown sugar in the butter until it melts.
- Add the beetroots and onion, and fry on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes until they start to caramelise.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and simmer until reduced.
- Cover the mix with the pastry. Place in the oven at 180°C for 25 minutes until the top is brown.
- Cover the saucepan with the serving plate upside-down, and flip to empty the tarte onto the plate. Rearrange any misplaced bits of beetroot as necessary.